Safe Haven Law

If a parent is unable to travel to a Safe Haven facility, he or she may call 911, and a law enforcement officer or EMS provider will pick up the infant and transport the child to a hospital.

 To learn more about the Safe Haven Law  
call: 1-800-CHILDREN (1-800-244-5373)
or go to

Parents who are unable to care for a baby may leave the baby with no questions asked at: hospitals, health units, emergency medical service providers, medical clinics, fire stations, police stations, pregnancy crisis centers, or child advocacy centers.


  • A “designated emergency care facility” includes any of the following:
  • Licensed Hospitals
  • Fire Stations
  • Police Stations
  • Public Health Units
  • Emergency Medical Service Providers
  • Medical Clinics
  • Pregnancy Crisis Centers
  • Child Advocacy Centers